Called to the Bar by Gray’s Inn, in 1984, Mirza commenced his local government career in 1985 and has been a Member of the General Council of the Bar for England & Wales since 1995 (save for 1998). Mirza practices from St Philips Chambers in London (at 9 Gower Street WC1E 6HB), Birmingham (at 55 Temple Row) and in Leeds (41 Park Square). He is also able to take direct instructions from members of the public under the Bar’s Public Access Rules and is admitted as an Associate of the Charted Institute of Arbiters.
Mirza is nationally recognised as an expert in local authority law and employment law, with over 26 years in-house local government experience. From 2000 2011, he was the Chief Legal Officer and Corporate Director of Governance of Birmingham City Council, with leadership over 800+ staff.
Mirza is the General Editor of two legal encyclopedic publications: Lexis Nexis “Local Authority Employment Law, Practice and Procedure” (since 2009); and Butterworth’s “Knight’s Guide to Public Procurement Law and Practice” (2007-2014).
In addition to Public & Administrative Law (such as Judicial Reviews, Planning and Public Procurement matters)), he also has thriving practices, which include giving advice and appearing regularly, as an accomplished advocate, before civil courts, appeal courts and employment tribunals, as follows:-
• Employment Law for Claimants and Respondents, alike (including experience of being instructed by multiple claimants and respondents) in relation to restrictive covenants and complex multi-day trials dealing with, for example, dismissals, discrimination (race, sex, disability, harassment and victimisation), redundancies and TUPE;
• Land and Property commercial disputes for Claimants and Defendants, alike, in relation to, for example, multi-million Pound partnership, land and property disputes;
• Personal Injuries, Clinical & Medical Negligence for Claimants (in relation to / against doctors, dentists and hospitals) and for Claimants / Defendants alike in relation to Road Traffic Accidents (including fraud allegations) and Employer / Public Liability claims;
• Appeals against Professional body decisions relating to, for example, doctors and nurses; and
• Direct Public Access – members of the public can save lots of money by coming direct to authorised barristers without coming through a solicitors firm. I am duly authorised to provide expert advice and/or representation to members of the public in relation to all of the above areas of work.
Qualifications and Appointments:
- LLD – Doctor of Laws (Honorary) : 2008
- LLM – Masters Degree in Employment & Industrial Relations Law :1998
- MBA – Masters Degree in Business Administration : 1992
- Barrister – Bar Vocational Course & Called to the Bar: 1984
- Combined Bachelor of Social Sciences (Hons) Degree inLaw and Politics, 1983
What the Directories Say:
- “Extremely thorough and shows great empathy”
- “Provides a realistic view of the strengths of a case”
- Ranked in Chambers & Partners Legal Directory, since Oct 2013, for expertise in Public & Administrative Law and, since Oct 2015, for expertise in Employment Law.”
- Ranked in Chambers & Partners Legal Directory since 2014 for expertise in Public & Administrative Law
- The Lawyer Hot 100 for 2009 from The Lawyer Maga zine
- Public Sector Lawyer of the Year 2009 – from the Society of Asian Lawyers
- Public Sector Excellence Award 2007 – from Muslim Power 100
- Lawyer of the Month April 2006 from Black Lawyers Directory
- Top 5 Lawyers in Local Government 2005 – from Local Government Chronicle
Recent and Reported Cases:
As an employed barrister with over 26 years experience, Mirza has had a number of cases reported in relevant publications dealing with the full range of local authority cases. Some of these cases were decided by the House of Lords/Supreme Court and included major Judicial Reviews in relation to, for example:
- housing & homelessness;
- employment (Single Status, Equal Pay and Discrimination);
- joint ventures, planning and procurement law.
Recent public body instructions include:
- Appearing for a London Borough in a Judicial Review and Housing Appeal cases;
- Advice for/against Councils re Judicial Reviews, CPOs, Leisure Trusts, procurement and contractual challenges;
- Employment cases (including discrimination and redundancies) for/against Councils, a University, and two NHS Trusts; and
- Other litigation for/against a Probation Trust, a Royal College, Housing Trusts / Associations.
Recently reported case(s):
- D Kotak v J Kotak  EWHC 3121 (Ch) – £11 M commercial property portfolio, partnership and winding up dispute.”
- EAT judgement 14/05/2015 – HER HONOUR JUDGE EADY QC (EAT) – Reason for dismissal including substantial other reason. Judgment can be found here.
22 July 2013 – Employment Lawyer at Dudley MBC :
[Mirza was] instructed at very short notice [and he] prepared the case extremely well [His] cross examination was faultless an excellent performance with a great result.
8th July 2013 – Partner at Willsons Solicitors:
[My client and I] have been very impressed with [Mirza’s] ease of availability, promptness in responding … as well as ability to express complicated points in clear and simple terms.
June 2013 – Principal at Bailey Wright & Co. Solicitors:
Mirza is a lawyer with an enviable range of skills and experience. He is conscientious with a high level of commitment to any task that he undertakes. If you want results, Mirza is the man to have on your team.
Articles and Publications:
Mirza is the General Editor of two legal encyclopaedic publications:
- “Lexis Nexis’ Local Authority Law, Practice and Procedure” (since 2009); and
- “Butterworth’s Knight’s Guide to Public Procurement Law and Practice” (2007-2014).
He has, over the last two decades, written a number of articles on ethical and corporate governance, employment, EU Directives & UK Procurement Regulations, Compulsory Competitive Tendering, Human Rights Act 1998 and on TUPE (the Transfer of Undertaking Regulations).
- Member of The General Council of the Bar for England & Wales (since 1995, save for 1998), ELA, PIBA, Midlands Circuit, Birmingham Law Society and the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators;
- Chairman of the Bar Association for Local Government & the Public Services (since 1998); and
- President of the Association of Council Secretaries & Solicitors (2009/2010)
CV Added Successfully!
Would you like to continue adding to your brochure or go to the Brochure Builder to begin the download?Go to Brochure Builder Continue