Jonathan’s practice focuses on:Private international law
Trusts and trusts litigationHe is especially renowned for his cross-border work. He has a pre-eminent reputation in private international law. He is also well-known for his expertise in the field of international trusts.
He is an editor of Dicey, Morris and Collins, The Conflict of Laws and of Benjamin’s Sale of Goods; and a contributor to Underhill and Hayton, Law of Trusts and Trustees and International Trust Laws.
Appeared as a junior counsel on behalf of respondent in Granatino v Radmacher, heard before nine members of the Supreme Court. The case concerned the weight to be given to a pre-nuptial
agreement in ancillary relief proceedings. The appeal was dismissed.
Appeared as junior counsel in the Privy Council on behalf of the successful appellant in Hutcheson v Spread Trustees, a landmark case on trustee exemption clauses in Guernsey and the sources of
Jonathan is also Professor of International Commercial Law at King’s College, London and Visiting Professorial Fellow at the University of New South Wales, AustraliaProfessor Harris also regularly provides expert opinions in foreign proceedings. Recently, he has given expert opinions in numerous US cases, including:Re Vivendi Universal, S.A., Securities Litigation;
Re Royal Dutch/ Shell Transport Securities Litigation;
Re Royal Ahold N.V. Securities & Erisa Litigation;
Re Parmalat Securities Litigation;
Re Scor Holding (Switzerland) AG Securities Litigation;
Re Alstom SA Securities Litigation.Jonathan is fluent in French and German.
Qualifications and Appointments:
Ph.D. (University of Birmingham
Currently acting as the legal advisor to the Ministry of Justice on the proposed EU Regulation on
Cross-Border Succession and Wills
What the Directories Say:
Private client: trusts and probate (Legal 500)
- Instructed extensively in high value commercial cases, especially where a private international law element is involved.
- Instructed in numerous international trusts matters in England, Bermuda and Jersey. Has also been
- instructed in several large-scale ancillary relief cases.
- Currently acting in a major cross-border insurance dispute.
- Hutcheson v Spread Trustees  UKPC 13 – instructed as junior counsel in the Privy Council onbehalf of the successful appellant in a landmark case on trustee exemption clauses in Guernsey and the
- sources of Guernsey law.
- Granatino v Radmacher,  UKSC 42. Appeared as a junior counsel on behalf of the respondent in a landmark case heard by nine judges in the Supreme Court. The appeal concerned the weight to be given
- to a pre-nuptial agreement in ancillary relief proceedings. The appeal was dismissed.
- Masri v CCIC & Ors (2011 – Commercial Court) – conspiracy claim.
- Masri v CCIC & Ors (2011 – Commercial Court) – civil contempt of court claim in the Commercial Court.
- OJSC Oil Co Yugraneft (In Liquidation) v Abramovich & Others  EWHC 2613 (Comm). Involved in successful application for reverse summary judgment.
- General Motors Corporation v Royal & Sun Alliance Insurance  EWHC 2206 (Comm). Instructed in successful application for anti-suit injunction.
- Sibir Energy Plc v Roman Abramovich & Others (Court Of Appeal, Eastern Caribbean, 2006). Provided advice to defendants on choice of law issues in successful defence of the claim.
- Re Parmalat Securities Litigation;
- Re Scor Holding (Switzerland) AG Securities Litigation;
- Re Alstom SA Securities Litigation.
Articles and Publications:
- Dicey, Morris and Collins on the Conflict of Laws. Responsible for eight chapters in the 14th edition(2006) and 15th edition (2012), along with annual supplements.
- One of the editors of Benjamin’s Sale of Goods (8th edition, 2010) and author of Part Eight of the book.
- Contributor of Conflict of Laws section of Underhill and Hayton, Law Relating to Trusts and Trustees (16th edition, 2003) and 17th edition (2006).
- The Hague Trusts Convention (2002) – (author).
- International Sale of Goods in the Conflict of Laws (2005) – (co-authored).
- Contributor to International Trust Laws.
- Author of a very substantial number of articles and book chapters in areas of private international law and trusts law
- Co-editor and co-founder of the Journal of Private International Law.
- Editorial board member, Trusts and Trustees
Areas of Expertise:
Jonathan Harris is a member of the following specialist practice groups where detailed CV’s can be viewed by clicking on the links below:
CV Added Successfully!
Would you like to continue adding to your brochure or go to the Brochure Builder to begin the download?Go to Brochure Builder Continue