Peter is a former solicitor, having been a partner with what is now Addleshaw Goddard in Leeds between 1983 and
2003, specialising in commercial litigation. He deals with commercial disputes with a Chancery bias. He deals with
disputes in the financial services and banking sector, acting in particular for a number of life assurance companies in
both Scotland and England in connection with contractual and regulatory issues, including pensions advice. In
addition, he deals with partnership and LLP disputes, particularly for solicitors, drawing upon his 20 years of
experience as a partner in a substantial commercial solicitors’ practice. He has recently acted in a substantial breach
of trust case against a US bank in the Cayman Islands, being called to the Cayman Bar for that purpose and
appearing in interlocutory hearings in the Grand Court in Cayman. Other areas of experience include the tertiary
education sector, and defamation and reputation management. Peter is an accredited mediator who has mediated a
number of cases and also has extensive experience of representing clients at mediations. He is also a Member of the
Chartered Institute of Arbitrators and has acted as an arbitrator.
Qualifications and Appointments:
- B.A. Hons (Law)2:1 Durham 1975
- Solicitor 1978
- Cayman Islands Bar 2010
- Resisting claims against former Members of an LLP involving illegality arguments
- Dealing with interest rate swap mis-spelling cases
- Advising life offices on issues arising out of with profits policies and guaranteed annuity rates
- Acting for tertiary education charity regulated by Ofqual in dispute with members
- Fillite (Runcorn) Limited -v- Aqualift (1989) 45 BLR 27, CA Construction of an arbitration agreement to
- Determine arbitrator’s jurisdiction.
- Symphony Group -v- Hodgson  QB 179 CA Leading case on non-party costs orders
- Fillite (Runcorn) Limited -v- APV Pasilac  CA Incorporation of exclusion clauses into machinery supply contract.
- MetroCammell Hong Kong Limited -v- FKI Engineering Limited (1996) 77 BLR 84 Appeal against
- Ellse -v- Hill-Pickford  All E R D 328 Undue influence and constructive trust.
- Pitts -v- Jones  All E R D 93, CA Guarantee and Statute of Frauds 1677; adequacy of
- Walker -v- Inter Alliance  All E R D 482 Claim over pension transfer; meaning of “advice”; breach of statutory duty.
- Helmsman -v- Bank of New York Trust Company (Cayman) Limited  CILR 490 Successfully resisting challenge to jurisdiction on “forum non conveniens” and other bases
- Chancery Bar Association
- Northern Chancery Bar Association
- Chartered Institute of Arbitrators
- Association of Northern Mediators
Areas of Expertise:
Peter Cherry is a member of the following specialist practice groups where detailed CV’s can be viewed by clicking on the links below:
CV Added Successfully!
Would you like to continue adding to your brochure or go to the Brochure Builder to begin the download?Go to Brochure Builder Continue