Poonam’s practice comprises of Family and Court of Protection law casework. This includes the following:
- Applications for residence, contact, specific issues and prohibited steps orders
- Emergency protection, care/supervision orders and secure accommodation orders
- Leave to remove from the jurisdiction and child abduction
- Applications under the Family Law Act 1996
- Divorce, judicial separation and nullity
- Financial remedies, financial provision pursuant to schedule 1 of the Children Act 1989, and applications under the Trusts of Land and Appointment of Trustees Act 1996
- Court of Protection cases concerning vulnerable adults.
Poonam has experience of acting for parties, at various levels of court, from the FPC to the Court of Appeal, in public law children and in private law children matters, including cases where there are allegations of sexual abuse, non-accidental injuries and non-compliance with contact orders. She also deals with financial remedies cases and property disputes including written advice and court work. Poonam has experience of working with clients who have mental health and learning difficulties and clients from minority ethnic groups. Poonam acts for local authorities, parents, the official solicitor and children through their children’s guardians in care cases.
Poonam has also been involved in cases with an international element, having appeared in leave to remove from the jurisdiction and child abduction cases and cases involving overseas adoption and asylum seeking families.
Poonam has previously represented appellants and the Home Office in immigration hearings before the Tribunal in relation to both asylum and human rights claims.
Poonam has recently been interviewed regarding special guardianships orders by LexisNexis; the full interview can be found here.
(1)A (2) B -and- (1) A LOCAL AUTHORITY (2) C (through his Guardian) –  EWHC 4816 (Fam). The full judgment can be found here.
Poonam has also undertaken criminal cases from 2000 to 2005.
Prior to joining the Bar, Poonam worked as a schoolteacher and a special educational needs co-coordinator.
Poonam can speak and take instructions in Punjabi, Hindi and Urdu.
- Bar Council (Elected Member 2006 – 2008) Member of GMC & various committees
- FLBA (Family Law Bar Association) FLBA committee member 2006 -2008
- Legal Action Group (Charity) Chair of Board of Trustees; Trustee 2005 to date
- West London Law Society