Stuart has an extensive practice in Employment Law, representing both Claimants and Respondents. He regularly appears in the Employment Tribunal, on a wide range of cases, including unfair dismissal, discrimination, whistle-blowing and redundancy.
Stuart has delivered talks and seminars on a variety of employment topics including restrictive covenants and injunctions, unfair dismissal and employment cases updates; and he has acted with worrying enjoyment as the Judge in mock tribunals.
Qualifications and Appointments:
- Modern history degree, Oxford University, 1984-87; BA: 2:1;
- Campbell Foster Prize, Middle Temple 1993;
- CPE commendation 1993
- ICSL very competent grade 1994
- Pupillage with 22 Old Buildings, Lincoln’s Inn 1994-5
What the Directories Say:
Focuses on traditional chancery work. He acts for clients across a broad spectrum of matters including Court of Protection applications, partnership disputes, trusts of land and Inheritance Act claims. Expertise: “He is just absolutely brilliant with clients. He is very charming and understands how to deal with clients in different emotional situations.” “He is very experienced, practical and good on his feet.” CHAMBERS UK 2015.
Recommended as a leading individual by Chambers and Partners UK Bar Guide 2014 (Chancery)
“Concentrates his practice on probate and traditional chancery matters. He is regularly instructed in relation to Inheritance Act 1975 matters and property disputes, while he also offers a considerable advisory and drafting practice.”
Expertise: “He has a relaxed approach and builds an excellent rapport with clients. You get a real sense that he enjoys what he does, so the clients warm to him and he will sit down with the client to get a real understanding of the case without watching the clock.” “He is very good under pressure, really client-friendly and a very good advocate.”
Recent work: He recently acted in the Wood v Greatrex case, concerning the overturn of a grant of probate and the declaration of invalidity for a will.
Recommended as a leading individual The Legal 500 UK 2013 (Commercial, Insolvency and Property)
Stuart Roberts is recommended and described as being ‘commercially astute’.
- Ongoing case, where Defendants are being sued for £7.7m on guarantees, following a 15 year invoice discounting fraud.
- Coope v Ward, pending case in Court of Appeal regarding the application of the ‘measured duty of care’ between neighbours, in relation to the collapse of a large retaining wall.
- Easylocums v Akhtar & Others, Leeds High Court 2014. Defending a complicated claim alleging breaches of a business sale agreement, of a disputed warranty, of restrictive covenants, and of an alleged agreement to repurchase the business; and claims of misuse of confidential information, passing off, and misappropriation of company funds. 10 day trial. The claims were dismissed in full.
- Bowmer v Meekel, Sheffield County Court: Claim by a beneficiary for a debt owed to an estate. Claimant appealed the strike out of his claim – appeal resisted and dismissed. Section 15 of Administration of Estates Act 1925 applied.
- Hall v Hall, Chancery Division, Leeds: Defending a claim by one of six children, left equal shares in an estate, for declaration that a Codicil giving him life interest was valid. Issues of due execution, capacity and undue influence arose. Also defending further claims: proprietary estoppel and provision under Inheritance Act 1975. All claims were withdrawn at Trial at the close of (successful) cross examination.
- NT v FS & Others,  EWHC 684 (COP) – Court of Protection dispute about a statutory will for a businessman worth a total of 3 million GBP, but lacking capacity.
- R (on the application of Golding) -v- HMRC and Milton  EWHC 222 (Admin) – successful defence of an application for a third party costs order against a non-party.
- Naseem v Kang  EWCA Civ 737. Court of Appeal – successful appeal against costs order made at trial.
- Chancery Bar Association;
- North Eastern Circuit
CV Added Successfully!
Would you like to continue adding to your brochure or go to the Brochure Builder to begin the download?Go to Brochure Builder Continue
Stuart is accredited to take instructions on a direct access basis and is ready to do so where appropriate. Recently this has proved to be increasingly popular.
+ Add to Brochure